Saturday, June 30, 2007

Spanked in Colma - Lost $300

So today was not a great day. I blew $300 at Lucky Chances playing 1-1-2 spread limit hold 'em. Basically, it's almost like a no limit game. I played for 8 hours and just sucked the whole time. I'm a complete donkey when it comes to ring games. Found myself using tournament strategies in a cash game - like checking the river with a good hand to avoid the possibility of an opponent putting me all-in. That's a tournament survival tactic, not a cash game play, where the goal is to maximize the size of each pot won.

Anway, I learned some things. Chalkin' this up as another learning experience in my poker education.

:::POKER GLOSSARY:::

"SPREAD LIMIT" - game where the betting amount is flexible, but capped at a maximum. In this case, the max bet was $200.

"DONKEY" (or "DONK" for short) - a bad poker player who practically gives chips away. "Donk" can also be used as a verb: "I donked off all my chips on a ridiculous bluff."

"RING GAME" or "CASH GAME" - a non-tournament game where blinds/antes are fixed, and players are allowed to rebuy chips between hands.

No comments: